28 July 2014

Unplugged




I remember my summer holidays in the 1970's. The days were long and sunny. We called for our friends and had adventures in the woods. We found monster caterpillars. We made camps in the garden, we played Mummies and Daddies (there were a few kisses, but it was very innocent).

We rode our bikes around the village. We went to the park. We swung as high as we dared and jumped off onto the dirt. We all clung to the bright orange seesaw, trying to bump everyone else off. Our hands smelled of the metal of the climbing frame. We sat under the trees and collected beech nuts. We played in the grass cuttings.

We went to The Dump, but avoided the old mattresses so we didn't get fleas. We made dens in the hedgerows. We descended on our mums in rotation, and scrounged ice pops and iced Ribena. We came home for lunch and tea. No one wore a watch. No one had a mobile phone.

How I would love my children to experience that kind of summer. To have that much freedom.

The closest my boys get to having adventures is when they find a corner of our secure garden and start digging in the mud. I sometimes let them walk to the post box together. They are out of my sight for twenty long seconds.

Play dates are arranged. The wide school catchment area means that we usually drive to friends' houses. We also arrange to meet in the local park and take a picnic. We walk there and I love letting the boys run across the field to get to the pirate ship. I follow behind, watching them like a hawk.

In these fearful times, where everyone is a potential child snatcher, I just can't let go. I can't give them the freedom they need to learn to play, to look out for one another and be responsible. They are still only six and five. Maybe in a couple of years I will feel more confident and give the the chance to blossom.

Until then I need to give them the best, most fun summer holiday experience I can. This means keeping the laptop closed. I'm switching off for the summer, at least during the day. I don't want my children to remember their summer holidays as mum sitting at the laptop and them glued to electronic devices (as much as they love Mario, Luigi, Yoshi and the gang).

I want us to go out and get hot playing football, cricket, badminton and golf. I want us to walk, run and cycle. I want us to eat picnics, hide in the long grass and find banks to roll down.

If I ignore you on social media, it's not personal. It's not you, it's me. I want to live life unplugged this summer.



.
Share/Save/Bookmark

15 comments:

  1. We all need to switch off and get out for a bit. It refreshes everything. Have a great summer, Sandy :-)

    (PS Just noticed the new pic in the sidebar - you look awesome!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nickie, absolutely. You have a great summer too.

      BTW, I'm doing C25k again (following a month off running after my op) and I think we're around the same stage :)

      Delete
  2. EEEP! It's lovely to read this Sandy.I've not touched my blog in over a week.I haven't opened my computer from 9am-6pm or allowed any telly in that time, I'm just posting a few Instagram photos.We've done lots of things together as a family and kids have gone off together outside or upstairs to play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Aly, great minds think alike :) I'll try to do the same. So far we're having a chilled out summer. The good weather helps. Enjoy, and let me know if you fancy meeting up...

      Delete
  3. They looks so big in that photo! Babies no more, yes, hold onto the summer before they get any bigger. (Ironically after barely blogging at all for a year I am slowly starting again when no one is around to read, but I have always been an wayward soul).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Sarah, I know, they are getting so big now. Not too big for cuddles yet though. I'm popping over to have a read now...

      Delete
  4. I read only yesterday about a woman who let her 7 yr old go to the park was done for neglect! Enjoy the summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Pinkoddy, no way? That's shocking. You enjoy the summer too.

      Delete
  5. Excellent idea! Unplugging and spending time with the littles is the best thing. Love your new picture! What a beautiful, beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Popping in to reply to comments. The boys are at the match this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  7. love your profile pic Sandy :)
    i totally agree with your words, it is lovely to completely unplug ourselves and be free and enjoy time with our kids. lovely sentiments
    i will add this to my carnival (live from the 12th) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mummy Mishaps, thank you :) I'm much more relaxed when I'm fully with the boys. I'll pop over and take a look at the carnival x

      Delete
  8. Switching off once in a while does everyone good. I hope you enjoyed your summer and had plenty of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Tania,so sorry for the late reply. Yes we did, thank you and hope you did too :)

      Delete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin